Thursday, July 05, 2007

4th of July



I could say quite a lot, really. I'm not sure how much to say, I guess. Being in England has been really different. There are lots of differences here, 99% of which are obvious of course (and some I even listed in my previous post).

Protests, picket lines, activists, fundamentalists ... I'm no stranger to any of that. Racism, chauvanism, and overall opression is nothing new, either. But never did I expect that I would be a 'target' or be accused of being anything of the sort.

I will openly admit that it seemed very boisterous to have an Independance Day celebration in England. It even felt wrong to celebrate the eviction of a country IN the country that was dismounted. I can't even really set up a valuable arguement other than I'm American and I am married to an American soldier and I felt that it was my duty as a military wife, and as an American to attend the festivities ... that and I just like fireworks.

So even though I didn't really want to go, I went. I was already warned that protesters would be there. Of course they weren't the kind of protesters I have been exposed to. These were what's called 'peaceful' protesters in that they had signs and lawn chairs and simply sat conversing with each other. Their signs didn't really say anything mean or even angry. The big one which was behind them just said "Leave space for Peace". That's nothing, I thought.

I thought that then, anyway. My idea of it all changed as the night went on, and as last night turned into today. I guess its humbling, in a way. Last night was the first time I felt even slightly unwelcome here in England. I realize that no one likes stupid people - and for the most part the Brits don't hate or even dislike Americans - its Yanks (its like comparing a normal person to a redneck or white trash .. there's a difference) and never have I felt I was a Yank, or even Keith for that matter. Blah I'm not even going to go into a big long thing about it - mostly coz I lost my train of thought!

Well I got sidetracked and now I'll have to finish this post later.

No comments: