Sunday, May 13, 2007

Protect it Like You Own It!


And they do! I see it more and more these days in Second Life. There are free things everywhere. I know this as I've been around almost 3 years. Some people prefer to give out things for free because hey - sharing is instilled in most of us at a very young age.

For a long time now people have been re-marketing the free stuff in order to turn a profit. For what means who knows, but they do it. I totally do NOT agree with that at all - but at the same time there's an argument of "Well I acquired it so isn't it up to me whether I want to give it away for free or re-sell it?" I think of all the stuff I've bought over the years .. all the crappy clothes from high priced stores that I've turned around and sold at yard sales (I'm talking RealLife here) .. did Abercrombie intend for me to sell that $40 sweater for $3? Probably not but what can they do? They made their money already. But that's the difference .. the stuff I'm talkin about is F-R-E-E to begin with.

There are things in Second Life that enhance things. Textures, scripts, humungous blocks that you can't even make anymore but were exploited in 03 due to a bug .... at any rate ... should these free things still be free? Or should they be shut into their creations merely because the person who used these free things want you to not take their exact copy of an exact copy which they got for free anyway? Its just a never ending circle.

If you got it for free - you should give it for free. That's what's fair and right. If you paid for it - sell it .. but don't expect a profit because let's face it: Things in Second Life progress quickly so used items just a few weeks old could be outdated. Don't try to turn a profit on an outfit/hair you bought 3 years ago from a designer that no longer sells their things.

And new residents: Don't expect to not have to buy lindens. You come in with nothing and that's what you'll have until you either buck up and learn to market something .. or you start peeling off clothes. If you want to be a beggar that's fine - but remember - beggers are homeless for a reason usually ;) It isn't rocket science for the most part.

Machinima Teaching
I am not naming any names - but I am taking this all in a whole. I do not mind at ALL to help someone learn anything about machinima or anything else I know about if they share a genuine interest. If you're just asking me questions to turn around and just ask me (this goes for Keith too) to turn around and do the work for you and pass it back so you can slap your name on it -- forget about it. Its not going to happen. That's like walking up to Grim Misfit and saying "Yeah dude check out this awesome idea I have! What you do is .. I tell you what to build .. you build it .. give it to me full perms then I sell it and split the profit! That's badass, isn't it?!" Fuck no, it isn't.

Machinima is really starting to take off in SL compared to the two and a half years ago when Keith and I started filming - and I'm really glad to see that! Its awesome to see people who want to do things with this 'medium'. Making a film costs a lot of money - even if you just film little home videos in Real Life you have to buy a camcorder (which can get pricey) But in this virtual forum its free (as long as you use trials of things - it can get expensive if you buy full registered versions as Keith and I have learned).

Seriously though - I will sit and help anyone out that's willing to learn. There are some things, however I feel should be learned on their own. Everyone has their own artistic eye so I never tell angles and stuff - but I don't mind holding a hand or two for those that really lack any kind of vision for it. I can't count the times I've sat and talked to people and told them step by step how to do things - then a few days later they're all on their own like big boys and girls. No leashes and no arm floaties (JellyBean is the first one that comes to mind.)

Everyone has to learn a little something from somewhere - so no question is a bad question because I'm sure I sat and asked someone the same thing at some point. Really though - I'd never ask a designer step by step how they made a certain shirt .. and I just expect the same kind of artistic amnesty, I guess. There are lots of effects achieved a lot of different ways - and there are some things that I just call "film magic" and leave it as that -- and that's just because if everyone filmed and edited like Keith and I did then they'd have no need to have us film and edit anything to begin with because there were 40 million others that could do the same thing. You understand, right? /rant

England
The British Consulate hates me. They've jacked up the prices of a visa from $120 to $430. Yeah huge inflation. At any rate Keith was able to push back our date of departure until the 21st in hopes that my Visa comes back in time so that I can leave with him. Hopefully I can - but there's never any guarantee with anything as far as the military is concerned .. and especially when you're dealing with things out of the country. It'll at work out - but I am quite high strung over it and I just want it all to be over with already! RawR!

Song of the Day
Trigger Hippy by Morcheeba


Tune in, drop out of love,
Pull the trigger, I'm a hippie,
So said a truth, and blood,
Alive and well,
You push the buttons.

Standing in line of fire,
For the whole,
My soul,
Step codes,
The drums,
And sing,
Love the children,
Learn to live with everything.

Love love love, i'm a trigger hippie, yeah
Love love love, we're trigger hippies, yeah.

Zoom in, cut out at sound,
Make it feel so trippy
Hung up, let down to ground,
Forget the kill it's far to sticky

Love love love, i'm a trigger hippie, yeah
Love love love, we're trigger hippies, yeah.

Love love love, i'm a trigger hippie, yeah
Love love love, we're trigger hippies, yeah.

Love love love, i'm a trigger hippie, yeah
Love love love, we're trigger hippies, yeah.

3 comments:

HeatherFev21 said...

I will have a word with the Queen, see if we can get you a discount!

Anonymous said...

One thing I'd like to beg of creators who distribute freebies - label it a freebie in the name of the item, and if possible include some indication of the maker as well.

SL bugs mean that often we can't see the creator in edit, and for sure we can't recall which item was had for free a few weeks or months later without some sort of memory jogger.

Orchid said...

Usually you can just pick free things by sight. I mean let's face it - the free stuff just isn't too hot. AmIRight?!

Unless you put a little tag on the back of a t-shirt with your name on it (like Naughty Designs does) its likely after time you won't know who made it and wheter it was free or not.