Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Classical Emo = Win

Okay so I hated my parents just as much as the goth kids and punk kids and was looking for a way to just step out of my daily life and declare that I ... I don't know. I hated high school. Anyway!

So I'm a YouTube lurker. I love to check out random videos. Lots don't know - but I am a classically trained singer. Yuh! I can't sing along to radio stuff - but give me some sheet music to Carmen or Les Miserables and I'll rock the house. ANYWAY!!

I've never been a fan of 'commercial radio' even though I do enjoy British radio more than I liked the radio stations in the US in the towns I lived in. Part of it is because I spent all my life in the South which means my choices were Classic Rock (think of hearing nothing but Lynyrd Skynyrd all day), Country (think of hearing Hank Williams, Jr all day) or Soft Rock (Creed and Celine Dion) ... so yeah I hatedddd the radio.

These days YouTube has become my alternative radio. There are sooo many talented people (not just singers but accompanists too!) who do 'covers' of songs that I never liked until I heard the COVER version by some unnamed talent on YouTube.

The following video is an example of that. Some random guy who has a talent for playing by ear (the most piano playing I ever did was pounding out harmony parts to whatever I was singing) and doing covers of songs that I HATED.

So I found a video of his .. and he's playing Helena by My Chemical Romance on piano. Of all instruments I think I'm a sucker for the piano the most. Why? Well there are lots of reasons. For one - maybe its my artsy poetic side .. but the strings and the mechanism is hidden which makes it mysterious. Its like its hiding its guts, I guess. Even though you KNOW what happens inside that lid -- you can only pay attention to the pianist's physical interpretation of what they're playing which makes the instrument sooo appealing to me!

Anyway - here's the video.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm the pianist. Thanks for watching!